Commercial Turf Conversion
|Thank you for your interest. Applications are no longer being accepted for turf conversion projects.|
Up to $2 per square foot
MMWD’s Turf Conversion Rebate encourages commercial customers to replace water-intensive turf grass with water-efficient landscaping.
Who is eligible?
Commercial, industrial and institutional sites, as well as multi-family residential sites in areas served by dedicated irrigation meters are eligible. New construction and sites served by recycled water are not eligible. A minimum of 1,000 square feet of turf must be removed in order to qualify.
How do I get a rebate?
- Before starting your project, call MMWD at 415-945-1527 to schedule a free water efficiency survey at the project site.
- During the site visit, MMWD staff will provide you with application materials, explain landscape plan review requirements, measure project areas and answer your questions.
- Submit application materials.
- Begin turf conversion work after receiving a “Notice to Proceed” from MMWD.
- After completing your project, call MMWD at 415-945-1527 to schedule a final inspection. MMWD staff will verify installation, review irrigation operation and scheduling, and collect project receipts.
What are the project requirements?
To qualify for a rebate, projects must remove at least 1,000 square feet of turf and replace it with water-efficient landscaping. Rebates are offered up to $2 per square foot of qualifying converted areas, not to exceed actual costs. Original receipts are required. Purchases must be made on/after the Notice to Proceed date in order to qualify. Please review all project requirements before scheduling your site visit.
How much is the rebate?
Rebates will be offered at up to $2 per square foot of converted landscape. Rebates will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to the availability of funds.
Can I start my turf conversion now and qualify for a rebate later?
No. Rebates are not retroactive.
What project costs are eligible?
See our list of eligible and non-eligible turf conversion costs.
How can I get more information?
Contact MMWD by phone at 415-945-1527 or by email at email@example.com if you have questions or require additional information or assistance.
- This program applies to irrigation, commercial, industrial and institutional water meters only. These meters are typically included in MMWD rate categories 6, 7, 8 and 18.
- Recycled water meters are not eligible.
- Turf conversion work must be approved in advance by MMWD. Rebates are not retroactive.
- All work must be completed by June 30, 2019.
- New construction does not qualify.
- Rebate will be paid only when all MMWD Landscape Plan Review Requirements are met, as long as funds are available. Landscape Plan Review Requirements apply to all projects requiring a building permit, plan check or design review, as well as all projects greater than or equal to 2,500 square feet regardless of whether or not a building permit, plan check or design review is required.
- Rebates are offered on a first-come, first-served basis while funds are available.
The fine print
Please carefully review all program Terms and Conditions.
Water Use Classification of Landscape Species (WUCOLS)
MMWD Invasive Plant List
Property Owner Authorization Form
Funding for this rebate comes from the Marin Municipal Water District and the Safe Drinking Water, Water Quality and Supply, Flood Control, River and Coastal Protection Bond Act of 2006, administered by State of California, Department of Water Resources. Bay Area governmental agencies are coordinating to provide this rebate program, funded in part under a regional grant to the Association of Bay Area Governments.