News Flash

News Release

Posted on: October 4, 2016

Marin Municipal Water District to Purchase 100% Renewable Energy

Furthering our commitment to sustainability and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, Marin Municipal Water District (MMWD) has voluntarily agreed to increase the percentage of energy purchased from renewable sources to 100% through Marin Clean Energy’s (MCE) “Deep Green” program.

The District previously participated in MCE’s “Light Green” program which means 50% of our energy was provided by renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, bioenergy, geothermal and small hydroelectric. Under MCE’s “Deep Green” option, 100% of the electric energy generation will be provided from renewable sources.

By upgrading to MCE’s Deep Green program, MMWD will be reducing its annual greenhouse gas emissions by approximately 2,800 metric tons a year (based on annual electric energy usage of 19.2 million kWh). This is equivalent to the greenhouse gas emissions from over 600 passenger vehicles driven for one year.

“When we realized the impact we could make by transitioning to MCE’s Deep Green program, we jumped at the opportunity to move to 100% renewable energy sources. The District is excited about playing a larger role in reducing greenhouse gas emissions locally, and continuing to fulfill our mission of environmental stewardship and sustainability.” Board President Cynthia Koehler said.

”As one of Marin’s largest electricity users, the impact of MMWD going 100% renewable is substantial. In addition to the greenhouse gas reductions, half of the premium for Deep Green will be used to build new solar projects in our service area, boosting our local economy and supporting green-collar jobs,” said Dawn Weisz, CEO of MCE. “MMWD has long been a supporter of renewable energy, and we’re proud to serve them.”

MCE’s voluntary Deep Green 100% Renewable Energy product is Green-e Energy certified, and meets the environmental and consumer-protection standards set forth by the nonprofit Center for Resource Solutions. Current participants in Deep Green include the City of Belvedere, the towns of Fairfax and San Anselmo, the Marin Agricultural Land Trust, Point Reyes National Seashore, and the Tamalpais Community Services District. The City of San Rafael is currently reviewing participation in the Deep Green program.

MMWD is Marin County’s largest provider of drinking water, serving a population of 187,500 in a 147-square-mile area of south and central Marin County. The District owns and manages 21,635 acres of watershed land on Mt. Tamalpais and in west Marin. The primary source of water supply is rainfall captured in seven reservoirs, providing 75% of the water consumed each year. The remaining 25 percent is imported annually from the Russian River through an agreement with the Sonoma County Water Agency. MMWD also operates its own recycled water system. District operations are financed primarily by revenue from the sale of water. The annual operating budget for the District for fiscal year 2015-16 is $66.8 million.

Media Contact: Lon Peterson
(415) 945-1421

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in News Release

New Rates in Effect

Posted on: September 16, 2019

2019 Water Main Cleaning Schedule

Posted on: January 31, 2019

Frequently Asked Questions about Ebikes

Posted on: October 3, 2018
2018.09.19-RedFlagWarningMap (003)

Red Flag Warning in Effect for MMWD Lands

Posted on: September 19, 2018

Red Flag Warning Issued for Mt. Tam

Posted on: June 22, 2018

Red Flag Warning Issued for Mt. Tam

Posted on: December 15, 2017

Red Flag Warning Issued on Mt. Tam

Posted on: September 25, 2017